Sunday, February 5, 2012

Disagreement


"Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership. The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others. If a leader can't get a message across clearly and motivate others to act on it, then having a message doesn't even matter."
— Gilbert Amelio
President and CEO of National Semiconductor Corp




I have recently have had a disagreement with a follow co-worker that resulted in a great conversation about the use of conscious discipline in the classroom. I believe in the strategies offered by Dr. Becky Bailey. I feel her relationship building techniques are essential to creating a caring community of learners within a child development learning center are the best way to accomplish this.
My co-worker was skeptical of the success of the conscious discipline strategies and frankly, she thought they were silly. She explained her position to more traditional techniques. As I explained to her I was not telling her that she was wrong but I felt adding conscious discipline strategies could enhance her classroom environment.
The conversation was intense but we managed to listen to each other's position. I personally thought she jump to conclusion at the beginning of the conversation. The conversation was a little uncomfortable because I was her supervisor and she was asked to incorporate some strategies in her classroom. For example, a wish you well board. The teachers had previous training on conscious discipline.
I listen to her and we came up with a compromise. I asked her to try the wish you well board and involve the children and if it did not work we could talk again.
To this date she uses several conscious discipline strategies and as asked to have more conscious discipline training.
I think this conversation went well because we listen to each other and stayed composed. 

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I think being able to accomplish understanding through listening can be a major feat in itself.

    ReplyDelete