Sunday, January 22, 2012

Communicating Differently with People


I communicate differently based on the situation. The way I communicate with my friends out to dinner is not the way at a staff meeting or professional training. I adapt my skills, body language and word selection to the environment I am in. I communicate differently among different situation and groups of people because it shows respect and professionalism. I am also careful of using slang or disrespectful gestures when meeting new people. I think it is important to stay neutral and conveys your opinions and knowledge courteously.  
  
According to an article found online: "Oral and written communication is generally easier to learn, adapt and deal with in the business world for the simple fact that each language is unique. The one difficulty that comes into play is Paralanguage, “Language refers to what is said, Paralanguage refers to how it is said. Even though, logically, the same words should convey the same meaning the volume, rate, and emphasis placed on those words can change the meaning of the phrase. The example given by Huseman took the sentence “I would like to help you” and simply by placing the emphases on the words I, Like, Help, You in four different sentences changes the meaning of the phrase".

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-cultural_communication. Retrieved online 1/22/2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment