Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Connections to Play

“Play is a child’s Work.” ~Jean Piaget
“Play is our brain's favorite way of learning.”~ Diane Ackerman
“Play fosters belonging and encourages cooperation.” ~Stuart Brown, MD
I was supported in play with encouragement, love and positivity.  Play was an outlet for me as a child. I was one of six children and sometimes life was chaotic.  When I played, I was able to use my imagination, gross motor, fine motor, and language skills. I did not go to preschool, so my playmates were my siblings. We would build a fort, go on a tip to the beach and play “school” without leaving our backyard.
Today play is very different compared to when I was a child. Safety is a serious concern for families. My mom would let us play for hours outside or at a friend’s house with very little worries. Parents today have to watch their children very closely.
Play is very important to children’s social/emotional, cognitive, and physical development. Especially, social development because children need to know how to get along with one other. Social skills are ones that will be used for life.
“Play is so important to optimal child development that it has been recognized by the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights as a right of every child” (Ginsburg 2007).
Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD, MSEd (2007). The Importance of Play in Promoting Healthy Child Development and Maintaining Strong Parent-Child Bonds. PEDIATRICS Vol. 119 No. 1 January 2007, pp. 182-191 (doi:10.1542/peds.2006-2697)

4 comments:

  1. That quote by Ginsburg (2007) also really stood out to me this week as it expressed powerfully how important play is for children. When we think of play in terms of children's right, it's not something that is so easily taken away.
    Were Play-Doh and blocks very special to you growing up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    I absolutely loved play-dough as a child. I think it is a great way to be creative and work on fine-motor skills. I am a preschool teacher and it is one thing I always try and keep in my class.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post. I also used play as an outlet. It was the time I could have peace and quiet in the middle of a noisy world. I liked to play with playdough as well. My grandmother and I used to make salt dough (cheap playdough).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth-
    Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your description of play as an outlet. With so many in your family, there had to be somewhere for you to "escape" and yet you had your siblings to model from.

    ReplyDelete